Monday, March 7, 2011

Just in front of them and a few steps further... or maybe a better title would be... A Zebra is Known by its Stripes

Much resides upon my heart within this moment...

many thoughts swirl within my head .....

lots of possible directions to wander this evening and yet a path emerges for me to journey upon....

I walk upon it quietly and slowly but not meandering without purpose .... I'm not looking up neither am I looking down but I find my gaze at just the next step that is before me.... not looking up towards where the path may lead off into the distance nor glancing upon my own two feet....

but just in front of them and a few steps further......

I would love to see more... to know more ... but I know that in this moment mine is to journey those next few steps and hold fast to the hand of the One who walks beside me.....

It is a quiet moment ....

I get the feeling that He knowing all things obviously knows all the thoughts and concerns of the moment and as I walk each step I feel His patience with me as I try to figure it all out.....

Then I get the feeling that I could look up and see Him and I could have all the while... and as I glance up to my right I am awe struck at His compassion and His affection .... His grace and His staying power.....

In that moment as I look up full of my questions and full of my thoughts.... full of my concerns .... I see Him and stop.... stop ... right there upon the path... I turn myself into Him and I stop.... the weight of all the what ifs and what's going to "bes" gets heavier for just the moment as I turn and as I sigh..... with the knowledge of those aren't mine to carry I just fall into Him ..........

I bury my head in His chest and push myself into His strength and try to let go...... and I stay there.... and stay there and stay there..... not another step is taken .............

I stay there in that moment and allow that moment to move forward into the moments that just keep coming... leaning and pressing further into it..... It is almost like I can't move beyond it... nor do I really want to.... I don't want to come up from that moment still burdened ... still questioning... still wondering... still weighted down with matters truly too heavy and cumbersome for me ....

Then within a moment that seems oh so full of serious and heart heavy matters comes something completely unexpected..... "A zebra is known by its stripes." "What?" says I... perplexed and wondering what that has to do with the moment I had found myself in... and again, "A zebra is known for its stripes."

And then..... an understanding of a call to just be who I am and all else will fall where it may.... the verses that speak of truly not concerning myself with matters beyond me pulsate life back into my heart and I recognize that no matter what may be... I am who I am.... a girl... a woman... a daughter... and the other titles that would describe me... but I am who I am and I am to let that be....

I cannot control that which others think or do or say but I can be known for who I am amidst all circumstances and situations ... I can be known to Him more than anything ....

As all that settles within my soul.... I am once again ready to walk forward not seeing too far down the road neither looking at my feet....

No comments: