Sunday, February 6, 2011

Longing to pray the better prayers

Rita Springer's song "It's going to be worth it," it is playing in my head today .... 


The first line sung so beautifully is " I don't understand your ways, oh but I will give you my song....."


So much I don't understand ..... So much I can't even begin to comprehend.. His ways are so much richer.... Everything about Him so beautiful... So lovely and yet I so filled with corrupt thoughts and emotions....


This morning in a dialogue with one of my older sons I quoted from The Prayer of a Confederate Soldier:


Confederate Soldier's Prayer

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve, 
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked God for health, that I might do greater things,
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy,
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for 
- but everything I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. 
I am among men, most richly blessed.

Found on the body of a Southern soldier
1861-1865



Longing to pray the better prayers .... Longing to have a strong heart made strong by God not by self... Longing to be so much further in Him than I find myself ... So much of me still lives and so much of me still needs to die.... 



I don't understand His ways but I do give Him my song.... My life .... My heart.... Hoping and believing that one day He will possess all the more of me

No comments: