Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Redemption Song... Part Two


My past was looming large. Not the things that were done to me, the things I have done. The places where I caused harm, and at times didn't even care. Then it wasn't just the past. It was where I could point to now and see lack, and how my inadequacies cause harm.

I want to share something really precious to me. For those of you who have read the blog post: http://walkingthepassage.blogspot.com/2013/02/do-you-know-that-you-will-always-be-ok.html There is a place in there where I write about how Jesus was sitting on the end of my bed and holding my left foot. The moments with the Lord in that time were some of the most full I have ever walked.

But until I would share that story with my husband the question of why He was holding onto my left foot wasn't connecting with me.

So this past Summer I had to have two surgeries on my big left toe. And some of those issues are coming up again and it looks like a third surgery is going to have to take place.

One thing about me is physical pain and I aren't friends. Well, Mims who is friends with physical pain. True. What I mean to say is there are aspects to parts of my life where the amount of physical pain I was subjected to still causes me to cringe. So when there is physical pain within my body, it can serve as a reminder of other times.

As I told Jim about how Jesus was touching my left foot and what He was saying, Jim just looked at me. As he looked at me, it dawned on me.. finally, OK I'm slow on the pick up sometimes.

Jesus was holding my left foot! Primarily Jesus had been holding my foot by my big toe. I was trying to think of all the metaphoric symbolism without just seeing it for the most amazing, majestic, kind demostration of His love that was filling out the moment at hand.

His proclaimations then of calling me to trust Him in the truth that I will always be ok, took on even more depth and I was moved to the core of my being. He was truly proclaiming into me that I would be ok. For now, for then, for always! My heart has been made so full.

Never shying away from the stories that make up my life, I feel like I am stepping into a whole new realm with them. Maybe it is in completing Book One, maybe it is just finally beginning to taste what it might mean to be emerging from this very long season of transition, whatever it is there is a sweetness in the air and a feeling of the reality that “behold, the Winter is past...” Song of Songs 2:11.

I know my story stands as a Redemption Song more than ever. I know that your stories stand as a Redemption Song more than ever, I know that my guilt is done and my sins are forgiven in ways I have never experienced. I know that your guilt is done and your sins forgiven in ways I have never known, that are birthing compassion and the capacity to hand out grace in ways I have never imagined.

I know that He is so thoroughly making all things new. I know that truth. And while accusations might still want to roar, the power of their hold has been so greatly dimished, I stand in awe of God in ways that wave after wave are pouring over me and upon under which I am brought to my knees as gratitude courses through my veins.

I was lost and now am so found. I had not known mercy but I do now more than ever, I was not part of a people and now I am called a child of God. As are you! As are you!

No comments: