Friday, March 8, 2013

How Downton Abby taught me I really do want to be a daughter ...

OK.... Yup... I love that show.  Maybe for a slightly different reason then most but I love it none the less.

I am a very visual person.  Pictures to me do actually speak more than a thousand words.

So this show, Downton Abby,  I started watching it and before the first episode was done I was in tears.  Not because of the drama or anything going on but because as I watched I heard my Father's voice and it landed upon my heart in ways that only He can speak and act and move.

As I watched the social levels play out within the house, as I listened to  the dialogue about where certain servants were allowed to go and others couldn't, when I watched how some were treated and some had more privileges than others, and then I saw the daughters.  I watched the workers and then I watched the daughters.

Now I'm not speaking to their actions or the things the writers have these characters saying,  I am speaking to the dynamics of the household.  And I am not speaking to the time period's historical portrayal of women and what they were allowed to do or not do.

I am speaking to the fact of being a daughter within the household and how that landed upon my heart.

The different scenarios they walk through landed upon me and pushed into my being a visual discovery.

I love when Jesus speaks of, "In my Father's house...."    I love the reality of my Father and where it is He abides.

I am growing more and more into the reality of what it means to be a daughter of my Heavenly Father.. and on the days when it is clear there is nothing that can interrupt me nor sway me from knowing His affections.  On the days when it is not so clear, on the days where I am allowing circumstances and situations to dictate a different reality to my heart then I have to see how I am acting and what I am believing.

On those days I am acting like the worker/servant who can't walk into the room if the family is there, I am acting like the servant who has to stay beneath the living spaces never to be seen by the family, I am retreating and working for my position, not living it.. not fully living it as a daughter..

Yeah.. it might be a bit much to equate being a daughter of the King of kings to fictional characters in a modern day drama of years gone by, but there are some visual cues that show has given me to take notice of if I'm acting like a worker/servant/indentured help  or am I living as a daughter...

The beauty and attention to detail and specific care of each item, character, room...  only serves to strengthen my heart into the reality of how thoroughly my Father's eyes are upon me, how thoroughly He plans for me, how thoroughly His I am  as a daughter, I belong to Him, to His house, to His ways...

That is my role upon the earth... that is my truest calling in this life...  To BE His.. To BE a daughter... His daughter... nothing more for there isn't anything more...  The daughter to the King of kings and Lord of lords.. it truly doesn't get much better than that... So uhm what does your dad do?  Yeah.. my dad called  the earth into being in  6 days.. how about you?

Being a daughter is pretty amazing.

Thanks Downton Abby for the visual.....



No comments: