Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The sky is green ... The grass is blue...

No the title isn't a misprint.


Read on.....


I lived my life as a liar.  A very talented, corrupt, brilliant liar.  Extravagant lies, dramatic lies, small, insignificant lies.... lied about anything and everything.


When I was first saved I remember reading the words of Jesus, when He speaks that He tells the truth.  I remember running my finger over those words and sitting with them.  Let His words be true and every man a liar.   Words that were tested.  Words that were true.


I couldn't ever fully convey, no matter how hard I try how phenomenal that was for me.  I had been lied to and had lied my way through life and now I was being led by one who never would ever lie to me and the reality was amazing.


I know that most of what I do in life does not fall anywhere in the middle of the spectrum when it comes to the expression of the Christian faith.  And while I can be all things to all people as we are instructed and have learned to convey and communicate the Lord's heart to any; saved, unsaved, Baptist, Charismatic, Wican, Buddhist, etc etc...  I hunger for the reality of the Kingdom of God as it is upon the earth to be seen.


So recently I stepped into teaching this devotional.  It was about the reality of the human senses and how we can learn to discern how they operate as spiritual beings.  The reality of how the teachings panned out even stunned me as week after week I felt led and capable of bringing some very real, down to earth instruction to an area that can a lot of the time get too ethereal for anyone.


At one point I told the story of what would happen if from birth I had instructed my children to believe that the sky was green and the grass was blue.  What would happen if I did that?  If day after day I would point to the sky and say, "green,"  and then point to the grass and say, "blue?"


I would have a very confused 5 year old, who upon the first day of school when confronted with the truth would have a whole wide range of emotions?  Confusion, fear, bewilderment, anger.... I can just picture my 4 year old, Elizabeth, demanding that she knew the truth, that her mother had told her all her life that the color that made up the sky is called "green," and the color that makes up the grass is called, "blue."


Speaking of Elizabeth.. man, oh man... she is amazing!!!  She is full of life and everywhere we go everyone falls in love with her within the first seconds of meeting the child.  "I'm Elizabeth and I'm this many," she will say to everyone and anyone who will listen.  Holding up her four little fingers, this girl is ready to take on the world!!!


When she was two we lived in this other house and we had company over that she had never met,  her brother, Gregory, was no where to be found, but she just having woken up from a nap had started to come down the stairs.  Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she paused and noticed the room full of people.  She stopped on the stair that she was on, and proclaimed that she was Elizabeth.  Not happy with the response of the would be admirers, she cleared her throat very loudly picked up one foot and stomped it down on the step, flung her arms wide open and once again said for everyone to hear, "I am Elizabeth."

Every eye fell upon her and she knew it!!! She continued down the stairs to meet her adoring fans.


That is her confidence!  She knows she is beautiful and wonderful, smart and funny and all that and more.  Just ask her to say the word, phenomenal, she knows it describes her and she says it in the cutest way.


So back to the sky and the grass.  We ALL know that the sky is blue and the grass is green.  We've been told the colors, in the right way, all the days of our lives.


I believe that the Lord speaks to everyone.  Hey I have 6 kids!  I wouldn't go a day without wanting to talk to them, look at them, listen to them, hug them...  how much more are the affections of God for us.


So this one day not to long ago... He began to bring some serious correction to my heart....  "Who told you .. you weren't lovely.  Who told you, you weren't beautiful.  Who told you, you weren't smart.  Who told you?"  He went further...  "There are places where you believe the words of my enemy more than you believe the words of My heart.  I want to change that."  


The sky is not green!!!  The grass is not blue!!!


You are not ugly!


You are not stupid!


You are not used up and good for nothing!


You are not lost!


You are not alone!


You are not abandoned!


You are not forsaken!


You are not too far gone!


The sky is blue... The grass is green.....  and the voice and truth and words of God are more true than anything else you will ever hear... He is after your life, and after your heart, and after your mind to bring forth His truth.... You are loved beyond your wildest imagination... You are adored, You are cared for, You are cherished!!!  The reality, the truth of Heaven pulsates within the atmosphere...pulsates in all that surrounds you... Creation declares the glory of God...  He is our ever present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)


In attaching ourselves to His truth we might not always have the fullness of understanding as to all the questions we might want to ask.. but we will ALWAYS be lead by truth... We will ALWAYS His affections,  We will always and forever be LOVED!


........let God be found true, though every man be found a liar,  Romans 3:4

1 comment:

smkyqtzxtl said...

I once heard the audible voice of God whisper to me..."who told you you can't do art?" I am an art teacher who didn't make art....because of shame.