Wednesday, May 22, 2013

No Regrets....

My sweetest of friends has had that tattooed upon her foot.  That is her story and she is an amazing human being with strength and tenacity and courage that flow forth from her onto those who delight in being her friend.  


To define regret is to find this:
A feeling of sadness, repentance, or disappointment over something that has happened or been done.


It is interesting to me to be considering the word regret these days.


Not something I usually spend much time on.  Not something I will usually focus upon.  But these last few days have altered some of that.  Primarily having begun with a dream that I had, my thoughts have drifted down the road of the "what ifs."


Beyond anything it isn't a good road....


What if I had been able to keep life together more than just one semester of college, where would I be or what degree would I have completed?  How would life have been different?

The dream that has filled my thoughts was unearthing many places where there is a sense of sadness, repentance and disappointment over things that have happened.  It is always good to have the Lord reveal that which is truly there. 


I just taught this week in talking about the sense of smell and how to learn to awaken to spiritual discernment in regards to such a thing.  I spoke on the fact that I travel with a stick of deodorant and a bottle of perfume.  There are times I want to smell pretty... there are times I realize I stink and I want to cover it up.  The passer by will smell the same thing either way, that being the perfume I wear.  But what is the importance of knowing if I just wanted to smell pretty or I was covering up the fact that I hadn't showered in three days.  What does it matter?  What does it matter if the smell is the same?  


Well.. it matters in walking out life.  We are so good at covering up our "stinks," we are so good at covering up our sorrows,  we know how to effectively say the "right" thing or put on the "right" face... but deep inside we are sorrowful.  


The person who has practiced by reason of use their spiritual sense of smell, seeing, hearing.. etc can see beyond that facade.. hear the words of the heart not just the mouth... smell and understand the difference between when is "perfume" or the "right actions" put on for show or when is it genuinely where the person is at.


I am sorrowful over things that have happened.  I am sorrowful over things that I know.  I am disappointed in the fact that my eyes have seen horrible things in life and in ministry. I am sad over the things I have done and things I didn't do.  I am sad that I have seen the way people have treated one another just to get ahead. I am sad that the church is no different than the world in some of this regard.  I am sad... I do have disappointments.. I do repent for when I can see horrific behavior within myself and know that out of personal insecurity or need I acted in a way unbecoming.


One of my favorite songs as of late is entitled, On the shores...


These are the lyrics:

On the shores of my soul I give you permission
To wash my tears away
And take all my disappointment
Fill me with joy once again

I’m gonna sing out loud And let my voice be heard
It’s a song of victory And its ringing in the earth

On the top of my cage I am sitting
Above the shame so lonely
Your kindness it has lifted me
To see the way that you see

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah


What else are we going to do?  Except on the shores of our soul give permission....  

Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. Isaiah 53:4

No comments: