Friday, August 23, 2013

It's easy to teach you.. to mother/father you that's a whole other ball game... but you choose the first too... as my yiddish grandmother would say Oh Vey


So I remember standing in front of a few hundred people welcoming the attendees and explaining how the rest of the weekend was going to go and  later on in the evening I would teach and again later on in the weekend I would get up and teach again.

There isn't a person who attended those meetings that I see or talk to on a daily basis.  There isn't a person who sat in those meetings or who heard me teach that I am in relationship with after  these years.  I spoke... 

But all I was in those moments was a teacher... 

That's all I was...


In some of those moments my attentions would drift back to the children that I had left at home to come and do the conference.  At one moment it was their bed time and at another I could picture them playing in the back yard. 

Those six people I know to this day and am in intimate relationship with them... they are my heart beat.. they are my joy.. they are my passion.. they are my kids..... I am their mom...

In their life I am a mom....

That's all I am.....


To teach someone takes a moment... to mom them takes a life time.. To teach  one can remain indifferent because  you will attend another conference and we all move forward in our lives.. I'm not walking along side you.. I taught you for an hour, an hour and a half .. maybe two at the most... You have 10,000 instructors...

To be a mom is to stay up long nights and at times even longer days.... teaching and instructing is a part of it but so is play and laughter... discipline and effort... shaping and forming and walking along side.. releasing and empowering ... nurturing and laying a life down for another.....

It is easy to teach you.  To long that you are mothered and fathered.. to endeavor that you are cherished and adored... to empower and not control.. to release and relish in the becoming....  to watch and stand in awe and wonder as you become....  that...  THAT... that isn't easy.... That will take everything within a person but at the end of the day there is nothing worth more...

I don't want to just teach any more...  I have seen the beauty of releasing a child into their own life.. capable and competent and ready... I have seen the reality of God explode in the lives of others when the mentality is all can step in and participate ...  

It is not just easier to teach... it is easier to be taught...  it is hard to parent.. it is hard to grow up from child to adult and mature son or daughter... choices and decisions are made....  discipline is given .. received or rejected....  It isn't a lecture or a sermon.. it is life.... you aren't just a student you are a human being... you are a child of God....  you are called to walk as son .. as daughter.. not just pupil.....  








No comments: