Thursday, April 21, 2011

Why it is ... why we do what we do....wondering the difference between preference.. arrogance.. entitlement .. culture

When in a non traditional church where the dress code is jeans and button down shirts or t-shirts and flip flops my friend who was raised in a church where suits and dresses were what was worn came dressed as such..... many questions were asked of him.... Crazy right... you would think that the very non traditional people would be the ones to say more than not hey come dressed in jeans... come dressed in a suit... come dressed ... :) but come....

You would think....

So often the stories go the other way.... I had no idea of the rights and wrongs of church culture when I was saved.... Saved by a visitation and for a while lacking another person to disciple me I wondered about these things.....

But here are the questions.... here is what I think about a lot these days....


I have been at conferences where upon the piece of paper they give you they forth right tell you leave the speakers alone... don't engage them in a conversation... if you pass them in the hallway don't interact with them... hhhhmmmm why? Do they have cooties.... ok I won't knee jerk into sarcasm here though it might be difficult...

Hey listen I do understand what it is to put on a conference and all the behind the scenes work... I do understand the exhaustion and the running here and there so that everything seems like it goes off without a hitch.... but in doing whatever people do there is going to be interaction with people of all sorts... and navigating those areas and thinking through those things are really upon my heart these days....

I've seen leaders of large ministries stay behind and minister and talk to and engage with people that have come to a class or a conference sometimes for hours .. to the point even dismissing the staff because they are doing what they do MINISTERING.....

I've seen leaders sit on stage away from the people... I have seen people sit off to the side and it is known that there might as well be roped off areas or a do not approach sign except it is well known that that is what is there even if it isn't stated....

Who are we? And why do we do what we do?

Jeans.... Suits..... hymnals.. scenes...... building... warehouse... school....
literally been thinking about these things so much lately...

wondering the difference between preference.. arrogance... entitlement... culture....

I have come to a place of deep appreciation for my roots mainly within two communities I learned titles do breed entitlement... and come as you ... and be you... I am so culturally wired to appreciate transparency and realness... lack of hype and pretense ...

So many thoughts around this topic swirl within my head... and so what do I do ... well, In typical Mims fashion I do two things... I call my really good friend who knows me oh so very well and who will tell me the truth and I pour out my heart and ask all my questions.... and that brings me to the second thing that I do... and that that friend points me to always.... ah there it is...even at the thought of that name a smile forms upon my face and a deep peace settles in my soul... Jesus... the perfect leader....

So....

Jesus... well... he rebuked the disciples for trying to keep the children away... if he was among people... he was truly among them... no roped off area... no seat away from the crowds... I'm not saying He didn't get away from the crowds but when He needed to be alone He went alone... but when He was with the people He was with them... gave His essence completely to them...

what am I going at here... what am I after... well this is that.... I don't ever ever think I will be able to ever hear a leader... pastor... whoever dismiss another human being... no matter what.... are there the needy souls who would drain the very life blood out of anyone... yes... are there the people who have no boundaries and assume that you don't either... yes.... I have heard the horror stories but sadly I have sat in meetings and been in hospitality suites and heard them mocked and dismissed as if they are not even regarded to be the child of God that they are.....

You see I have heard many of the sides of all of these issues... I have heard them and as one who has been in and around ministry experienced them... but as I see it Jesus took the time when He walked the earth.... and really the only people I see Him fully rebuke or dismiss are the religious.....

oh people I won't even touch the tip of the iceburg with this... but I this is something I must begin to ponder publically....

I want to be... oh no not just want... I need .. I truly need..... hunger for .. desire... to see manifested upon the landscapes of the earth the heart of the Father.... the heart of inclusion... the heart of affection and love and passion....

I don't even pretend to have any answers but I know this... I can't be satisfied by the systems or supposed rights or entitlements of man.... I know Jesus grew in favor with God and man and I do know that favor with man is a part of the coin... I do understand that.... I understand that favor with man has a part to play.... but right now... right now in my life... I can't focus on any of that... I can't care... I can't think about what it means to have or not have favor with man and I can't care about having favor with another human to the point that it would stop my questions... or render my heart's hunger and journey less than that which it needs to be...

I'm not looking to not be respectful or submitted but I am so very hungry for authenticity within all that I am... so wanting an authentic expression of my Father's heart... so hungry to see that which He wants and so desperate to see what it looks like.....

No comments: