Monday, April 4, 2011

Actually getting there.... Keys to moving forward to the not yet... Part one: communication

This morning I began to think upon areas of communication....  The ability to bring words together in order to convey thoughts, ideas, opinions....  


As I thought upon these things different scenarios filled my head... As I thought through the different situations I could see some truly important aspects to good communication...


Courage, patience, tolerance... A willingness to express truthful statements with love.... To name only a few.... 


How many times have I wished after a conversation that I had said something more or something differently? Or how many times have I bore witness to something and kept my mouth shut only to then think about the many different things I should have said?


Other scenarios that filled my thoughts were times when within a conversation something is said that leaves the hearer wondering if there was more behind that which was said.... But in that wonderment do we ask the question was there something ?


Honesty, transparency... Valuing those we are in relationship with enough that a willingness to risk truly conveying that which is upon our hearts and minds is a crucial component to communication and relationship......


I emerged from a life of lies and manipulation... I'm emerging from a life of more timidity then courage... I'm beginning to more fully live my life in a way that is the most intrinsically who I see myself to be ......


In so doing I hunger and desire for authentic relationship ....  I am passionate about honest dialogue..


 So I've been conditioning myself to say that which is on my heart ... Believe me there are many times I want to retreat but I can't ... I have found a freedom and depth to life and have overcome fear and angst in so many ways that I don't ever want to go back.....

Language is an incredible tool... Words are a most beautiful gift we can give to one another.....


There are conversations that are hard and awkward to have however if we value each other and what I have realized if we value ourselves we will give voice to them....  


The relationships that emerge from those conversations are the richest ones I have....  In those relationships I rest because I know they will speak to me when there is something to be said.. I don't have to exhaust myself thinking about was there more they wanted to say but didn't .... I feel seen and known within those relationships and they are the dearest treasures.... 

I feel a sense of worth within them... I feel alive within them... I feel safe within them.... I feel cherished within them....


When I was first saved one of my favorite things that Jesus said was .. "I tell you the truth.."  I had been so lied to that I took great comfort in the fact that I could rest in the knowledge that God would never lie to me...  


I want to give that same gift to those I'm in relationship with.. I am who I am... you get what you see and what I say I mean ... If there is something more to be said I'll say it...  


Truth... Communication.... Love.... Transparency .... Vulnerability.... 
Thinking enough of those I'm around to just be me and let the cards all fall where they may.....

No comments: