Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Newest Experiment

Experiment.... Day #4

I began an experiment this week......

Putting Isaiah 58 into my life:

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.

Armed with those verses and the commandment to love God and others... I have begun this experiment......
How can I live a life of Isaiah 58 and the commandment to daily love God with all that I am.......
I have prayed for opportunities to come my way while also seeking out those opportunities....
Here is what I have so far on day 4...... I have been a better mother.... swallowing impatience, sitting on the floor more with a 3 yr old and a 9 month old (hey those are my biggest daily opportunities)...
I am embracing opportunities to help families in need as I have heard of them....
I might not have a lot to give but these are my fish and loaves......

Who does not want to cry to the Lord and have Him answer or who does not what their light to break forth light the dawn?

So even to my neighbors... you know the ones some of you know about... cookies are being baked for them.... and a Christmas card written for them...

I think if we put the practices we preach into action ... life .. well life will be much different.... that is the experiment..... I don't think you need specific revelation to grab something written in the bible and start living it out...... Stay tuned

1 comment:

mims said...

Day 4......
Starting to write about this experiment... I wonder what the day will entail....
Well.. I am making cookies for my neighbors....
And I am going into Rebekah's class room..... I wonder what opportunities await me
My favorite ones so far are the ones that have me sitting on the floor being much more attentive to the younger two....... and this morning helping Rebekah find the "perfect"outfit to go to school in so that she feels pretty for her class party......
What I have learned so far... it is in the little things that one finds God... He cares much more about the little things then we would think.......