Wednesday, June 5, 2013

We do not labor in vain... Lessons learned Part 1

I had been sick for the entire pregnancy.


Lost more weight than I gained.


On the day when my mother and I went into the doctor's office hoping they would induced immediately, another patient asked if we were just finding out that we were pregnant.


Preeclampsia was the diagnosis and the prescription was to be induced that Saturday.


I remember staying up the night before and writing Joshua a letter,  I remember walking out the door of our apartment knowing that I would never be an "I" again... not really...  Not now that I would forever be a mother.


I remember all that could go wrong, did go wrong...  but what I remember more than anything was this....


We had gotten to the birth center and the hateful drug (smiling here now not then), pitocin, was being administered.  I was not in labor at all and so everything was going to be jump started.  It was early in the morning and the first grandchild and great grandchild was about to be born.. there were going to be lots of people waiting for this baby.


At one point two precious friends came to the hospital and Jim went out with my family to catch something to eat.  Nothing was happening.  My friends and I began to play cards.


I will never forget that first moment.


I will never forget the first moment when I felt the very first contraction.  I will never forget the first moment when I really realized this thought.. "this is not going to stop until there is a baby... I am so not in control."


And I wasn't and it didn't....


I will never forget those moments when forces beyond my control took over in order that something, a child.. would be birthed...


I had done what I could do... I had gotten pregnant... I had carried the baby... I had prepared for his birth...  and now ... now our labor would not be in vain.


1 Corinthians 15:58

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.



Philippians 2:14-16

Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That you may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the middle of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom you shine as lights in the world;Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither labored in vain. …


I had a bassinet by my bedside.  It was all prepared with sheets and blankets, it was ready to be our son's first resting place.  We had labored to get ready.  Now he was coming.  Now he was going to be with us... He would have a resting place.. We had not labored in vain.


I have a graduation robe hanging in my closet...  18 years have led up to a moment that is upon us... we have not labored in vain.  Our son has not labored in vain...


As I approached this series thinking about lessons I have learned from each of the children, this story about Joshua's birth landed upon my heart.  I remembered as the contractions began we put away the cards, Jim came back to the hospital, family gathered outside the doors, all stood in anticipation for our son to come into the world...


Christ came into this world.. His labor is NOT in vain... He has promised that the good works He started He will complete...  We are the workmanship of Christ... He does all things well...  His efforts are not futile.

Romans 8:22-27

For we know that the whole creation groans and travails in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man sees, why does he yet hope for? … But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. Likewise the Spirit also helps our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searches the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because he makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.


It is not in futility that we seek out our savior and it isn't in vain that we labor...  in both the interior and exterior journeying out of our faith we find a reality that far surpasses that of the earth and we touch heaven, and are touched by heaven and are changed more and more into His likeness....  


On January 28, 1995 at 6:04pm (est) Joshua Driscoll entered the world... We have loved him and cherished him and been taught by him.. enjoyed him, delighted in him, challenged and been challenged by him...  in 18 years of life I have watched and loved and carried forth... we have not labored in vain...  Joshua has not labored in vain...  You do not labor in vain... Christ's labor within us all is NOT in vain...


Philippians 3:20

But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior.


It is NOT in vain that we wait, that we are eager... it is NOT in vain that we hope...  







EIGHTEEN YEARS LATER....  WE DO NOT LABOR IN VAIN... WHAT AN AMAZING JOURNEY!



No comments: