Sunday, June 2, 2013

Even when I eat an ice cream sundae.. Maybe especially when I eat an ice cream sundae!

It is so interesting to me how quickly the flesh can feel legitimized by the doing "good" things.  This morning I set my heart to seeking the Lord but coming at it in a different way.  I paused and thought about the workers of the vineyard, those who came in the early morning and those that came as the sun was setting.


PAYMENT was the same...  But no, not really.. actually not at all....


I have walked with the Lord for 21 years and look forward to walking with Him all the days of my life...  PAYMENT IS NOT THE SAME...


I am richer...  I am richer to have walked into the Vineyard before the noon hours of my life.. I am blessed to dwell within my Father's home and gardens..  I would rather be a gate keeper in the house of my God then dwell any other place.


I have known those who have received the Lord as they took what would be their last breath, I have listened to those recount the stories of their own regret that they didn't know Him sooner.. I have said those very words as well.  The glory of our God is that whether you never knew a day you didn't know Him or you are still upon a journey of getting to know Him the reward of knowing Him is still the same.


I remember sitting in the library of Gordon College, in their magazine section.  I remember pulling out Christian children's magazines and weeping because I didn't know Him as a child.  I have looked at my children who have only ever known the boundaries of a home that desired to know and love the Lord, and have seen their own spiritual walks and struggles.


Is eternal payment the same whether you came early in the morning or last thing at night?  YES... It most truly is... Is life better when one places their feet upon the narrow path and not out of duty or obligation or religious pretense lives a life that brings delight to the heart of our God?  YES!


But His passion and His affection and His love  never wavers nor is it ever increasing....His love is always immeasurable and actions one way or the other do not add to His passions for you nor do they detract.  I love my children.  They are my children.  I will always love them.  I am happy for them when their choices take them upon a path of health and well being and I am sad for them and bring discipline towards them when their choices take them in other directions.  But my passion for them.. my affections for them.. my love and admiration of them never ceases and never wavers ....


So whether I am setting time aside to seek Him and choose to fast media or food or other sources of entertainment, or I am watching all of the Indiana Jones or Back to the Future or Lord of the Rings movies, whether I am fasting sweets or indulging in a mountain size ice cream sundae, whether I am on or off Facebook, whether I am reading the classics or an inspirational study or a comic book, wherever I am and whatever I am doing I am HIS!!! I am HIS!! And payment is the same!!!


Indulging the flesh in spiritual, righteous activities that only scream white washed tomb is no better for my soul than indulging in blatant sin,  what my soul thrives upon is the moment to moment heart beat of our God and walking in such a way where my delight is in Him and I receive that His delight is in me.


 I am richer for getting to hear that heart beat every day that I listen to its most glorious sounds.  Whether you listen for a day before you depart this world or you listen for a life time you will enjoy its magical melodies of life and love and joy!

No comments: