Friday, March 16, 2012

So here we go... liars and manipulators and those that love them or live with them.. here is a story for you..... Part 2


I was 26 years old... have been married for a few years and had one son.... it was August 1996... and a phone call was about to change my life forever....

We had spent the day in Brooklyn, NY at a friend's little boy's birthday party.... the day had been really weird and Jim and I along with our young son were all feeling very off.... on our way home to NJ we had picked up a good friend of ours.... We arrived home.. and I put our son to bed and my husband and our friend went downstairs....

The phone rang... I thought it was another friend calling back as we had gotten cut off.... but it was my mother... Her first words were, “Is Jim home?” I can't recall whether it was something in her tone or something just caught me as weird but my response was, “Why? Mom did nana (my mom's mom who had lived with me since I was 2) die?” I don't remember much after that except she said, “No. It wasn't nana. It is your dad.”

What I have been told of the moments that followed was that Jim and our friend came running up stairs thinking that an intruder had broken into the house and I was being stabbed.... I don't remember dropping the phone.. I do somewhat remember being in the living room but I don't remember much about that evening.....

We had never been close.... everything was left unresolved....

What I do remember in the days and weeks that followed was the pain.... the bewilderment... the fear... and looking back I was desperate to move away from it … desperate to get over it.... desperate... Period... just desperate....

I honestly can't remember how I used to think back then … and I didn't journal well enough back then that I can go and look back.... what I have is what I know happened and what I felt..... I didn't have the capacity to sincerely ask for help... I didn't own the capacity within me to communicate what was truly going on inside.... I wanted someone to understand where it was that I felt I was but couldn't communicate it and the need inside to have some release was just overwhelming....

As I write this next part.. I pause... right now I pause... putting my hands to my mouth I think out loud … am I really going to do this.... am I really going to write this next part... I have already shared it publicly but this feels different to me...

But here we go.... I am one for jumping off ledges these days and so here I go..

There wasn't anything really going on.... Jim and a friend had gone out to rent a movie.... and I had put our son to bed... I laid there.... to say that I had the capacity to think rationally back then I think would be a stretch... but there is so much I don't remember.... I don't say I don't remember to remove ownership of my actions... I say that I don't remember because back then I wasn't even a shadow of who the person God would heal me and bring me into being... but I did do these things I am about to share.... I remember doing them.. I just don't remember all the thoughts around them....

The screen door was blown in the wind... and it shut against the frame …. friends have said that maybe it sparked a flashback... or maybe this or maybe that... but I take full ownership of the choice that I made in those moments.... in that moment fear that someone was going to break into the house gripped me.... fear that hurt or pain was going to ensue.... but no one was there I went out of my son's bedroom and no one was there... I stood in the room and the idea that if someone had been there... if someone had been breaking in the house and was to rape me the pain in the natural would match what I was experiencing inside... I had sadly known that experience and it felt like it matched....

I am having the hardest of time writing this part and it isn't because I have a problem telling you that what happened next was that I lied.... I created a lie that I had been raped and lived it out for a couple of weeks.... The hard thing about writing this is just that I lack the memories of all the thoughts that were in my head... I remember being in a car with a friend trying to convince him that it had happened... everyone knew I was lying.. I was just desperately trying to cling to it as reality.... I remember standing in the doorway of our bathroom as Jim gave our son a bath asking him if he believed me.. I remember sitting in a cafe with a girl friend and I remember whispering into the ear of another woman the lie of the story ….. I guess I thought if this happened then maybe it is ok to feel so badly.... looking for any sort of legitimacy for the pain that I was in... Not giving myself permission to say losing my father was traumatic enough … not being able to say in a healthy way.. “hey, I'm really hurting and I really need help...” Not being able to say, “ I am in need..” I need attention...” “I can't breath” “ I can't feel this way any longer.”  

No comments: