Monday, January 11, 2010

Them Are Fighting Words!

How does my goal such as loving God and people play out practically amidst the spinning world of a very busy family? Is it in the moment to moment choices? Is it sitting quietly and communing with the presence of God? Or is it in the becoming? I think it is found in all of those. If I could have taken a snap shot of my soul 28 days ago what would it have looked like? What would it look like today? What would it look like on day 100? Although all those elements have contributed to this living experiment it is in the becoming that I find the transformation. It is in the becoming where choices and communion collide and creation works it magic. My perceptions are different. My responses are different. Even in the whirlwind of my existence a solid settled sense of being has taken over. It is not that the outward aspects of my life have changed. I have changed. Deliberately. Consciously. Intentionally. I have crossed the line and I could never return to passive living. I have learned in 28 days how to grab a hold of the every day and make it mine. Like the cowboy roping the bull I have taken the lasso and landed my target.

On day 1 I was akin to the toddling babe just learning how to take its first steps. Lots of deep breaths and pauses in the day. Lots of falling down and having to pick myself back up. Determination filled every nook of my being. What does it mean to walk in the light because He is in the light? How do we "put off our old self" as it is spoken in Ephesians 4:24. It does not just happen because we wish it to. Change like that does not occur because we "feel" it or "want" it to be so. Like a coat must be physically taken off so we must take action and "put off" who we don't want to be. Choices must be made. We must recognize that there are truly things that look good but steal life. That there are those things that we genuinely want and yet are not the best for us. I did. I do. I want what I want and I want it now. Or at least I did. Not so much anymore. I am "created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph. 4:24). Not in a religious attitude but in practical humble everyday life. Righteousness is an action and a state of being not a pretense. It is by taking control of the mind and making new. Purposefully and intentionally putting to death anything that would stand contrary to the nature of Christ. Not allowing excuses to pass my lips but allowing my will to rise up and command my soul to shut up.

We are urged to live a life worthy of the calling we have received. We are told to be completely humble and gentle, patient and to bear up in love. We are told to MAKE EVERY EFFORT to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Those are actions words. A Southern friend of mine would say; "them are fighting words!" They are ... they are! So step up! You are worth the fight. Live the best life that you can possibly live every day...... and at the end, no matter what there will be a smile on your face and peace in the depths of your soul.

No comments: