Tuesday, October 20, 2009

And I Will Learn the Ways of God

And I Will Learn The Ways of God!

Embracing the Lord in time of transition...............

This morning I have thought about the times of Moses. There was a transition from slavery to freedom. A time of becoming something that they had not been. God was forging them into a nation ... into a people He would call His own..... Something new was happening on the face of the Earth....

Freedom for them came with a cost of leaving all that they knew behind....... As we read the account a longing for the familiar entered into the hearts of the men and the women.... I do believe that even the most adventurous of us find comfort in things that are familiar..... I know I do....

We have lived in South Carolina for over three years now and yet I picture the highways that lead North. I picture the highways of New Jersey, New York City, Boston and New England and there is a longing there.... An identification with those regions. There are still things that I find new and strange here.... whether it is some product at the supermarket that I had never seen or a way that something is pronounced... it causes me to reflect and remember that I have not known this place for a long time.

There are things that in my 18 years of walking with the Lord I have come to know as the way He moves in and around my life and yet I stand in a time of transition. A time like that of which I have never known in my walk prior to this moment. There is not the capacity within me to fully communicate all that that does entail. Yet as I have thought about this time today there has been new revelation.... There is a time to let go ..... Ecclesiastes tells us that there is a time for everything...... a time to plant and a time to pluck up what is planted...... a time to break down and a time to build up.....

I have come to realize what a creature of habit I truly am... I realize I wasn't always this way.... maybe it is having six children or maybe it has come with age .. but it has come.... no matter what the reason I realize that there is a tendency for me to look back at the proverbial Egypt and long for slavery... because it was what I knew...... because as I look forward it is as (and believe me please I am not equating my life with Moses') but it is as the time when he ventured into the deep darkness of the Lord...... The people stood far off, while Moses drew near to the thick darkness where God was. (Exodus 20:21)

For me right now God is dwelling in the thick darkness and yet He bids me to come to land that I never have known.... A place where there is nothing but him.... no church, no group of people, no organization... just Him..... and I believe with all that is within me that in this darkness I will learn the ways of God.....

1 comment:

Patty Portier Wade said...

Very profound post. These words jump out at me "the reason I realize that there is a tendency for me to look back at the proverbial Egypt and long for slavery... because it was what I knew..." isn't this so true in our lives. We are afraid to reach forward to the unknown and are more comfortable to fall back and want what we knew, even if it's slavery....good food for thought today in each area of my life...thanks