Friday, April 25, 2014

Leaving the "I don't care" mentality behind... Because I can't lie to myself or to God any longer

I could feel that cold, detached feeling making it's way into my center. The constricting of my chest. The pushing away from emotions. “The I don't care”, and “I will be ok no matter what” mentality,” 
emerging.                                                                 


A million pictures raced through my mind.

Everything was swelling, and then I paused. “Lord, into this minute I invite you.”

Into this minute with all its uncertainty, all its mounting pressure; I lean into you... I was reminded of one of my new favorite quotes by Brother Lawrence; “In these times of dryness and unclearness which bother our souls, there needs to be fidelity to Him.”

Recently, within a conversation, a friend spoke one sentence which was like light breaking through. She spoke of how she had realized she wasn't caring about some specific things because her conclusion was she could do nothing about them and so why care. When she spoke the words, “do nothing about it,” I felt struck by lightening.

In many situations where I have felt like I could do nothing about the circumstances or current happenings, I just shut down. I don't let myself care. What is the point anyway? I can't do anything about it.. I can't change it, I can't make it different. I felt trapped, vulnerable and afraid. I felt powerless. So I distanced myself and pushed it all away, allowed my heart to go numb and continued with life. Because I can't do anything about it anyway! Why bother?!?

When those words fell out of my friend's mouth, I felt such sharp electricity run through me...

But it wouldn't be until this morning,where it was as if the Heaven's opened, and I saw the Father's heart in immense ways.

I saw myself and I saw others, I saw people in circumstances that are beyond one's control. In so seeing, I began to witness something immense and beautiful...

The Father leaned into me and spoke, “When you can't do something I can.. When you are powerless to change circumstances, I'm not... Let me be that which strengthens you and upholds you, especially when you don't understand.” He was asking for trust. He was asking for hope.

In moments when I can't do something about the circumstances I'm facing, the position of my heart is not to shut down under false conclusions. The position of my heart isn't to falter because I'm helpless and can't affect the situation, and the position of my heart can't be to try to manipulate the circumstances or situations either. The position of my heart HAS to be that when I feel helpless or the circumstances are beyond my capacity to affect change, at that moment I must turn my heart towards trust and hope and believe that when I can't, He CAN...

And when the events still roll out in directions that I wished them not to, at that moment to trust in His goodness above all else. But to stand in a place where I care and not opt into the “I don't care,”mentality, that is the place where I allow the pain of caring, the fear of caring, the intimidation of caring to reside. To not do so and choose the, “I don't care,” mentality is a dangerous cop-out. One which I have chosen all too often.

So I care, even when I can't control what's happening and can't make it better. I care and I allow the pain of caring but feeling helpless to both reside deep within. I care because to pretend to not care or to work into myself the “I don't care,” mentality only REALLY just brings death. I'm cutting something off inside of me, I am pretending and shutting down instead of feeling pain. I'd rather be in a place of passing through and feeling then becoming petrified or ossified.

I have allowed hardness to protect me in places but then those are the very places that hurt more than anything. Those are the places of being cut off from His presence, those are the places HE THEN HAS TO PRUNE!!!                                                      

So I remain supple.


I don't want to close down or harden my heart... Because the fact of the matter is I DO CARE.. HE CARED... IT HURTS... BUT it hurts worse and is a greater death to shut it all down. So I care, and I hurt and I ask the Lord to dwell with me in those moments, and I am learning what it means to abide in all times. What a glorious journey of transformational living. Painful and exhilarating, full of sorrow but full of joy; and more than anything full and not cut off! Severing oneself from parts of oneself breeds places where He will have to come in and bring healing and pruning.. I am really trying to learn to walk through it during the circumstances, and not shut down. I do care! I do care! I DO CARE! And sometimes that sucks.. But I can't lie to myself or against God anymore...

No comments: