Thursday, October 24, 2013

It isn't about sexy language................. The story of four men and a mother

Today I have thought about four men.

Today I have thought about four men and one mother.

No not my four sons....

Not me...

Here are two men and the mother... Matthew 20:20-22

Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Jesus with her sons, bowing down and making a request of Him.And He said to her, "What do you wish?" She said to Him, "Command that in Your kingdom these two sons of mine may sit one on Your right and one on Your left." But Jesus answered, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?" They said to Him, "We are able."


Here are two other men....

Luke 23:39-43

One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”


So much conversation about position, place.. title... entitlement... what can one who serves the Kingdom own, what can one who serves the kingdom do... Who gets to stand on Jesus' left and right?  That is always the question.. Who gets to stand on the right and left?  Who gets what?  Those are the questions when the ways of the world fill the heart, the mind.. the person.

Jesus having equality with God did not consider equality with God something to be grasped but laid His life down as a servant...  

I have more pharisee in me at times than I do publican, than I do Holy Spirit...  appearance of righteousness and yet darkness living within my heart... There are seats that are always going to look more desirable.. There are paths that look great but only lead to destruction. 

Here is the most excellent of ways.. Love...

The mother if she knew what she would be asking would she have wanted her sons on Jesus' left and right....  Certainly not on the day that He died for our right to enter the kingdom...

There are no sexy words .. no phrases that hold the depths of truths of our Father's heart..

Tonight there are more questions, than answers... tonight there is more silence than words...

Tonight there is a lot of thinking of one mother's request and four men...

There is a set Kingdom... Not open for discussion nor interpretation.. It's most excellent way is love.. This world and all that is within it is passing away but Him, He and His kingdom will reign forever and ever...

Tonight I fall back towards the faith of a child and I look upward and I proclaim.. God is good.. God is faithful... And God is love....


No comments: