Friday, February 21, 2014

Today I choose God.. God doesn't need to be manufactured ..

Christ gave the mandate so very long ago.

Live today.

Tomorrow will take care of itself.

I care about the birds of the air and the flowers of the field, ie... I care for you.


What I have found is that I can do it no other way. Oh, I can most certainly try... but any other step beyond leaning has me falter.

Lessons learned or choices made....

If I am going to believe in God, if I am going to live my life as though He exists, if I am going to have a biblical world view then I am going to believe in God, and believe He exists and have a world view that comes into alignment with what He says.

What does that mean for me?

I need to choose God. I choose God and will believe He is who He says He is and that He doesn't need me to make things up nor does He need me manipulating His people nor does He need me manufacturing experiences for His people.

For me it means I need the courage to wait upon Him. Not lazy inactivity BUT trust....

So this week has had an expose come out about manufactured experiences in churches; in the specific case this one news broadcast refers to baptisms. As I read about the issues and events my heart grieved. Not just for the reasons one might think. While this one church does indeed perfect what I would call manipulation, it got me thinking about the term that came to my mind, “manufactured experiences.”

So a staged event where “plants” have their instructions and music swells and emotions are played upon; ie, the stage is set, sounds no different to me then 450 prophets of baal being whipped into a frenzy hoping that some deity might just show up.

Except as I read through some peoples comments and concerns another thought hit me...

“Manufactured experiences.”

While this one church is doing all it can to enhance its numbers and show how many “converts” have gotten baptized... Maybe to convince its stock holders that it is still a worthy investment... Whatever.. Where else are services and lives being corralled

My husband has been talking about this idea of 1/5th. His thoughts are that we need to leave 1/5th of each portion of our services open to that which God would want to do... A place for God to be God...

God is the same God that implored His people to rest and trust and believe that if they would let Him be their king that He indeed would be their God and they would be His people... For me the saddest thing of all the contrived manipulations is the lack of trusting God that He will show up on behalf of His people...

We can't control that or make it happen on our time frame but if we believe He is who He says He is then are we willing to wait upon Him... The horses and chariots of the world look so strong, so polished, so capable.... but those that belonged to Egypt were drowned by the waters that came back crashing in after the Children of God walked safely away from slavery.


So I earnestly don't know what exactly it looks like or will look like but today, these moments, it is my heart to attempt to lean upon the Lord and not my own understanding believing that as I do He will direct my path and He will speak tenderly to me.

No comments: